Piwik‘s mission statement is
“to create, as a community, the leading international open source web analytics application, providing access to all functionality through open components and open APIs”.
And the developer team has come very close to the first main milestone with regards to this mission: The recently released version 0.9.9 is the last maintenance release before the final 1.0 and might remain unchanged if no major issues are identified.
Piwik is the open source alternative to Google Analytics and has the following additional benefits:
- Open Source (understand and change as you require)
- Plug-In architecture (modular extension)
- Mobile Client (now including iPod)
- ON-Premise (installed on YOUR server, data on YOUR server)
- Open API for data exports (supporting xml, json, php or csv)